Reading Aloud With Wiggly Little Listeners




I want to love reading aloud.

I really do.



I love good books. Great literature makes my heart flutter. I have visions of warm, cozy moments snuggled together with my littles, Little Women in hand and their upturned faces listening with rapturous interest as I regale the beloved story of Jo and her sisters. We would cry together at the death of Beth, cheer on the beautiful love story between Laurie and Amy, and discuss the importance of family and sibling relationships.

That's not what happens.

The truth is far from ideal.

The kids and I gather and crack open an exciting adventure.  It must be fast-paced and edgy to keep their interest. I read with inflection. Dramatic pauses occur. Yet no matter how engaging I try to be, it's not five minutes before my youngest kids are rolling on the floor. Or throwing balls. Or perhaps chasing each other around the house, talking, bothering the dogs, rolling toy trucks noisily around the room, fighting, or any number of crimes against literature.

It. Drives. Me. Crazy.

Expecting my kids to sit perfectly still and listen silently during family read-aloud time nearly ruined read-alouds for my family. I found myself frustrated. The kids weren't enjoying it because I lost my temper time and again. Why couldn't they just behave and enjoy a good story?

A Read-Aloud Revival podcast completely changed my perspective.  Speaker Sarah Mackenzie recommended keeping kids' hands busy while reading aloud and she even has bins of read-aloud activities reserved for this time. Could it be so simple?

Instead of expecting my kids to sit and listen like angels, I offered drawing books, building materials, and water colors. Sticker books, coloring pages, and crochet. Something marvelous happened. Rather than fight and bother each other, the kids looked forward to engaging in an activity while I read aloud.  It was nearly magical. Read-aloud time lasted longer and was more productive and enjoyable than ever.

Sometimes, changing one's perspective equals happiness.

Yes, my kids can still get noisy and annoying while we read. Yes, there are days when they still drive me crazy. And, no, we have not quite gotten to deep discussions about Little Women.  But we're learning to enjoy good books together as a family more than ever.

Are you struggling with reading aloud to your wiggly little listeners?  Here are some fabulous ideas to keep them busy while you enjoy a good story as a family: http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/activities-during-read-aloud/

What do you do in your home to make read-aloud time enjoyable?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NE Florida's Secret Garden: Live Oak, Roses, and George Washington's Relatives?

Try New Things: Adventures in Mushroom Gardening

Review: The Kind of Parent You Are-- Becoming Your Best Person So Your Children Can Become Their Best Adults